Sunday, February 3, 2008

Congrats Sumit !!

A very unconventional Engagement Ceremony. Uncoventional because no pandits and rituals, that form 99.9999% Brahmin ceremonies especially koknastha Brahmins, were performed. Its been a long long time since I attended such a Maharashtrian function.

Sumit.... going down on your knees and proposing (officially) Ketaki was really wonderful.



I would not be surprised to see a similar type of arrangement for his Wedding. Well that would sum up what Summit Kale is. A very practical and "Swatantra" Character as his uncle said. Swatantra as in "swatachya tantra ne " by what he wants.

But I liked it. Here two families have decided to join to-gether to become one big family. Generally at such functions the girl's relatives and boy's relatives would sit with respective families. Such functions are place for relatives to come together and update each other.

But for a change and that too a good one.. everyone was all ears to the relatives talking on the podium. Sumit had arranged for a couple of close relatives to introduce the couple. Some one close to Ketaki introduced her to Summit's relatives and vice a versa.

I must really say .. Sumit's uncle used all his skills to introduce Summit. He compere's for All India Radio. He did it very naturally and effortlessly. He blended day to day examples so very effectively that probably that everyone who attended the function now knows Summit as they have been knowing him for a long time .

I would be putting some quotes he used... in a days time or so...but I need to rush to earn my bread....

I too wanted to become nostalgic about the days we spent in Sheffield..Which i will in my next blog

CONGRATS SUMIT AND KETAKI .. You Both MAKE A WONDERFUL COUPLE !!!

5 comments:

nik said...

I'd have loved to attend but cant believe Sumit apparently 'forgot' to invite me.. well atleast thats the reason he gave yesterday when he met me and showed the ring ! quite a way to surprise someone.. !

anyways .. heres wishing both a pleasant companionship for life !!

cheers,
Nikhil.

Unknown said...

First, Thanks Devendra....sorry could not call you that day will surely before leaving to Delhi (me leaving on this Sunday eve.)

Second, Nikhil, " Arey dusari jaaga nahi ka milalee tula raag kadhayla...." Anyway we have agreed on punishment....a meal with beer....cheers - Sumit

Amit Bapat said...

WOW! सुमित मान गये...
You get off the hook so cheaply for "forgetting" a friend?

You are a lucky man! and your friend Nikhil is extremely generous...

Unknown said...

Nikhil, tu kahi vait vatun gheu nakos....Amit (he is my elder brother - Atye bhau !) he was also not there...some people couldnt make it....! Pan tyala kahi milnar nahiye....

tula aata pitcher....aaai shappath !

Unknown said...

Devendra .. Thanks for such a wonderful detailed report of the ceremony.. I could not attend for some personal reason but your description gave me a very good picture of the function..

Sumit as it sounds your engagement ceremony was really OFF-BEAT... and now we have very high expectation about your wedding and i am sure it will be on a similar lines...

All our best wishes to both of you...